- 350g penne rigate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g turkey mince
- 60ml (1/4 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 250ml (1 cup) passata (tomato pasta sauce)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 30g (1/3 cup) shaved parmesan
- Step 1Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until the mince changes colour.
- Step 3Add the vinegar to the mince mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the vinegar reduces slightly. Add the passata, cream and sage, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Add the mince mixture and parsley to the pasta and stir until well combined. Divide among serving dishes and top with the parmesan to serve.
1) Veal and rosemary spaghetti bolognaise:
Replace the penne with 350g dried spaghetti pasta. Replace the turkey with 500g veal mince. Replace vinegar with 60ml (1/4 cup) red wine. Replace sage with 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary.
2) Pan-fried steak with creamy sage sauce:
Omit pasta, vinegar, passata and parmesan. Replace mince with 4 (about 180g each) beef steaks. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Meanwhile, add garlic to pan and cook for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add 80ml (1/3 cup) white wine and cook for 30 seconds. Add 200ml beef stock and simmer for three minutes. Add the cream and sage, and cook for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Warm 1 x 400g pkt Woolworths Fresh Baby Potatoes with Butter and Herbs following packet directions. Divide the steaks among serving plates and pour over cream mixture. Serve with the potatoes and mixed salad leaves.
3) Chicken risoni with basil and parmesan:
Omit parsley. Replace penne with 350g dried risoni pasta. Replace mince with 600g chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm pieces. Replace vinegar with 80ml (1/3 cup) red wine. Replace the sage with 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn. Increase passata to 375ml (1 1/2 cups) passata. In step 2, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. In step 3, add 125ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock along with passata. Divide risoni among serving plates. Top with the chicken and parmesan to serve.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Australian Good Taste