- 500g penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g can chopped Italian Roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Step 1Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions, until tender (approx 12 min). Drain. Return to saucepan.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, or until tender. Add tomatoes, sugar, and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 3Shred 1/2 cup of basil leaves. Stir into sauce. Add sauce to pasta. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through. Spoon into bowls. Top with remaining basil leaves and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas