- 800g pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- Olive oil spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Massel chicken style stock powder
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 220g (1 cup) pearl barley, soaked overnight, drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 160ml (2/3 cup) white wine
- 1 bunch rocket, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 50g (1/3 cup) low-fat feta, crumbled
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place pumpkin on the prepared tray and spray with oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Step 2Meanwhile, place stock powder and water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low and hold at a gentle simmer. Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in the barley and rosemary.
- Step 3Add wine to barley mixture and cook until reduced by half. Add a ladleful (about 125ml/1/2 cup) of simmering stock to the barley mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Add stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to be almost absorbed before adding the next ladleful, for 20-25 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Step 4Add the pumpkin and rocket to the barley mixture. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes to stand. Stir in the feta.
- High fibre
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Australian Good Taste