Author Notes: The green jello salad has been a staple on our table for decades. It’s really a dessert, but we eat it alongside savory mains and its creamy texture is oddly good as part of a fork-bite including meat. According to family, this was the most sought-after dish at Great Aunt Ruth Ellen’s table: “It heralded the beginning of the Christmas season because it was always made in a Christmas tree-shaped Jell-O mold,” they say. —laurenlocally
packet lime jello
cup hot water
small can pears, drained and mashed
packages of cream cheese, softened
pint whip cream
- Dissolve jello in hot water and cool to room temperature.
- Blend the cream cheese with the pears, then add in the room temperature jello.
- Whip 1/2 pint of cream until it just holds.
- Gently blend all ingredients together until almost uniform.
- Pour into a (Christmas tree) mold. Chill for four hours.
Photo by Alpha Smoot