- 60ml (1/4 cup) honey
- 125ml (1/2 cup) light flavour extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon, extra
- 3 (about 750g) pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1cm pieces
- 85g (1/2 cup) buckwheat flour
- 80g fine polenta
- 80g (2/3 cup) almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons xylitol
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 1 pear (about 200g), extra, cut into seven 2mm-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon natural sliced almonds
- Warmed honey, extra, to serve (optional)
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease the base and side of a 22cm (base measurement) springform pan and double-line with baking paper.
- Step 2Heat 2 tablespoons honey and extra 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pear. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 3Combine the flour, polenta, almond meal and baking powder in a bowl. Use electric beaters to whisk the eggs, xylitol, vanilla and remaining honey in a bowl for 5 minutes or until thick and tripled in volume.
- Step 4With the beaters on medium-low, slowly add the oil in a thin, steady stream until combined. Beat in lemon rind. Use a large metal spoon to fold in pear mixture and polenta mixture, in 2 alternating batches, until just combined. Pour into prepared pan. Top with extra sliced pear, layering in centre in a circle. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, covering with foil if over-browning, for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with extra honey, if using.
- High fibre
- High protein
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine