- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 (450g) lady christl potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed, chopped
- 800g piece ham bone, rind removed
- 6 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 cups frozen peas
- Step 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add potato and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables start to brown.
- Step 2Add ham bone, stock, 1 cup cold water and bay leaves. Season with pepper. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add peas. Simmer for 15 minutes or until ham starts to fall off the bone. Remove from heat.
- Step 3Remove and discard bay leaves. Remove ham bone. Shred ham from bone. Discard bone. Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Return ham to soup. Serve.
To freeze: Freeze soup, in individual portions, in airtight containers for up to 2 months.
Look for packets of peas with loose peas and avoid those that are icy with frozen clumps. This can be an indication of freezer burn or re-freezing, which can affect flavour.
Where possible add peas towards the end of cooking time to prevent them becoming too soft and losing their bright green colour.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas