- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 750g veal mince or beef mince
- 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 140g tub tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 500g packet dried macaroni pasta
- 180g butter
- 1 cup plain flour
- 100ml cream
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two, 26cm x 18cm lasagne dishes. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Add mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break it up, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Step 2Stir in tomatoes and juice, paste, wine, basil, oregano and cinnamon. Season to taste. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until thick. Cool.
- Step 3Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and return to pan. Stir in meat sauce.
- Step 4Melt butter in a saucepan over high heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Slowly add cream and milk, stirring constantly. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Stir in eggs and cheese.
- Step 5Spoon meat and pasta mixture into prepared dishes. Pour cheese sauce over mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until hot and golden.
- Low carb
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas