- 40g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 250g penne rigate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500g lamb mince
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Step 1Make meat sauce Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion has softened. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for1 minute. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to breaking up mince, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned.
- Step 2Add tomato and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat. Remove and discard cinnamon. Stir in parsley.
- Step 3Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Add pasta to meat sauce. Stir to combine. Spoon into an 8 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Top with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Serve.
- Low carb
You could use spaghetti instead of penne.
- Author: Liz Macri
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Super Food Ideas