- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 x 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 55g (1/3 cup) pitted black olives
- 1 zucchini, ends trimmed, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup firmly packed torn fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley
- 250g spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, extra
- 1 x 250g haloumi, cut crossways into 8 slices
- Step 1Whisk the oil, vinegar and lemon rind in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Combine the tomato, olives, zucchini, basil and parsley in a bowl. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.
- Step 3Meanwhile, heat extra oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook haloumi for 2 minutes each side or until golden and heated through.
- Step 4Add oil mixture and tomato mixture to pasta. Toss until well combined. Divide among serving bowls. Top with haloumi.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
((( Variations ))) Rocket & feta pasta salad: Omit oil, vinegar, lemon rind, parsley and extra olive oil. Replace basil with 1 x 150g ctn Wattle Valley Rocket with Cashew and Parmesan Chunky Dip. Replace the spaghetti with 250g dried spiral pasta. Replace haloumi with 250g feta, crumbled. Omit step 3. Rice noodle & tofu salad: Omit lemon rind and tomato. Replace vinegar with 2 tbs fresh lime juice. Reduce oil in step 1 to 2 tbs olive oil. Add 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tbs fish sauce and 1/4 tsp caster sugar to dressing in step 1. Replace olives with 55g (1/3 cup) unsalted roasted peanuts. Replace the zucchini with 1 Lebanese cucumber, coarsely chopped. Replace the basil with 1/2 cup firmly packed coriander leaves. Replace spaghetti with 1 x 450g pkt fresh rice noodles. Replace haloumi with 1 x 200g pkt Thai-flavoured tofu. In step 2, cook noodles following packet directions. In step 3, cook tofu for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Cut into 2cm pieces. Add 1 red capsicum, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced, in step 4. Ricotta & egg pasta salad: Omit basil, haloumi and extra oil. Replace the olives with 1 avocado, halved, stone removed, peeled, coarsely chopped. Replace the zucchini with 1 Lebanese cucumber, coarsely chopped. Replace the spaghetti with 1 x 375g pkt fresh lasagne sheets, cut into 3cm-wide strips. Cook pasta for 3-4 minutes or until al dente. Refresh under cold running water. Drain. Add 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, finely chopped, and 200g fresh ricotta to the pasta in step 4.
- Author: Kathy Knudson
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas