Author Notes: A few months ago, my husband and I were on a ‘diet’- we had BNS as we like to call it everyway. This was one of our absolute favourites. —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes: a lot
1 cup roasted butternut squash puree
1/2 egg, lightly beaten with a sprinkle of ice cold water
10 – 12 seeds of cardamom, crushed or 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cCardamom powder
Salt and pepper to season
1/2 – 3/4 cup tipo 00 (or plain) flour, sifted
1/2 -3/4 cup chestnut flour, sifted
1/2 cup almond meal, sifted
Butter, to cook gnocchi
- Put the butternut squash puree in a bowl with the egg, cardamom spice, salt and pepper
- Gently sprinkle over the tipo 00 or plain flour, a little at a time, using a fork to stir around till all the flour is used up. Repeat with the chestnut flour and turn the mixture out onto a clean floured surface.
- Add more flour till you have a soft dough which isn’t sticky. Once the dough comes together, let rest for a few minutes.
- To make gnocchi, split dough into 3 or 4 parts. Working on a part at a time, roll it into a long sausage shape. Sprinkle some almond meal on your work surface and then roll the sausage in it. Once done, cut the ‘sausage’ into smaller pieces, about 3-4 cm in length. Repeat with the other portions of dough.
- Cook immediately or freeze on a lined cookie sheet in a single layer. When ready to cook, heat some butter in a large pan and add a couple of maple leaves. Ensure the entire base of the pan is greased with butter. Add the gnocchi and cook on low medium heat till a golden toasty crust forms on both sides.
- Serve with some chili tomato sauce and pan fried white fish
1 of 2
2 of 2