Author Notes: Pa amb tomàquet is a Catalan tomato bread. Easy as hell. Cut up a baguette lengthwise, toast or grill it and rub the crumb with cut garlic. Rub that with sliced tomatoes (the best and ripest you can find). Top that with a couple of boquerones and you have a delightful hors d’oeuvre style tapa. —pierino
Serves: 4 or more
vine ripe tomatoes
boquerones (white anchovies) or other really good ‘chovy. It matters
Extra virgin olive oil
- Slice up your baguette into four sections. Then, split each section down the middle exposing the interior crumb. Toast or grill the bread (this is a great tapa before a steak dinner so you can multitask your grill)
- Peel and cut your garlic cloves in half. Rub the bread with the garlic.
- Slice the tomatoes through the equator. Now rub the tomato into the bread slices. Make a mess. Work as much tomato pulp into the bread as you can.
- Olive oil is optional but if you are using it drizzle a little bit of it now. Sprinkle of salt.
- Over each slice place two boquerones. Fold the anchovies in half for presentation. That’s it. Simple right?