Author Notes: I am ashamed to say that, for the most part, my brownies have come from a box. It’s true. Then A&M put feta, mint and blood orange out there, and said think outside the box – see? (pointing UP at the top there) So – these brownies are outside of TWO boxes. They are just this side of fudge and ridiculously rich … I also need to point out that without my friend Jolene’s brownie recipe as a jumping off point these would never have happened so thanks to you my Cyclone friend!!! —aargersi
Serves: everyone – friends neighbors and coworkers
sticks unsalted butter
ounces dark unsweet chocolate (I used Scharffen Barger 99% cocoa dark chocolate)
juice and zest from one blood orange
large mint leaves – minced
cups all purpose flour
cup cow milk feta
- Preheat your oven to 350. Melt the butter and chocolate together – I did this in a glass bowl in the microwave on half heat, but you could use a double boiler too.
- Whisk the sugar, orange juice and zest, and vanilla into the chocolate until it is very smooth and shiny.
- Now it should be cool enough to whisk in the eggs without scrambling them – do that. Then the mint.
- Stir in the flour until the batter is well mixed but don’t get carried away and beat it to death.
- Break the feta into baby pea sized pieces and fold them into the batter.
- Spray your pan with baking no-stick, or butter and flour it. Your choice. No-stick is easier. You can use a 9×13, or of you like EDGES like we do, use the baker’s edge … it rocks – http://www.bakersedge.com/
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes – depending on your pan and your oven. A toothpick should come out clean. Let them cool then cut into smaller pieces than you think you need because they are SERIOUSLY rich!!!