- 1.8kg organic chicken
- 4 oranges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 3-4 fresh bay leaves*
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 60g unsalted butter
- Step 1Rinse chicken inside and out under cold water, then pat dry with paper towel. Juice the oranges. Quarter the juiced oranges and place in a large bowl with the juice, chicken, garlic and herbs. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 6-8 hours, turning the chicken occasionally. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Remove chicken from the bowl, reserving marinade.
- Step 2Place 2 orange pieces and a rosemary sprig in the cavity of the chicken, then tie the legs together using kitchen string.
- Step 3Season with salt and pepper, then place in a roasting pan with the remaining orange halves and the reserved marinade. Roast in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours, basting occasionally with pan juices, until chicken is golden and juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into thickest part of thigh joint. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and cover loosely to keep warm.
- Step 4Skim the excess fat from the pan juices, then place the roasting pan over medium heat. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add the butter, 20g at a time, whisking constantly until combined. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then strain into a jug. Carve the chicken and serve with the orange sauce.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Emma Reilly
- Publication: delicious.