- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup (215g) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (55g) almond meal
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- Candied orange zest
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup (100g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 cup (150g) pure icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons orange juice
- Step 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease twenty-four 1/2-cup (125ml) cake moulds or pans.
- Step 2Combine poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes to soak.
- Step 3Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and orange rind in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flours in a separate bowl. Add the flours, almond meal, sour cream, orange juice and poppy seed mixture to the butter mixture, in batches, stirring until just combined after each addition.
- Step 4Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared pans and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centres comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 5To make the candied orange zest, use a zester to remove the rind from the orange. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel the rind from the orange, then use a small, sharp knife to remove the white pith from the rind. Cut the rind into very thin strips). Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Add the zest and cook for 2 minutes or until zest becomes translucent. Remove from heat. Use forks to lift and transfer the candied zest to a sheet of baking paper.
- Step 6To make the orange icing, sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add enough orange juice to make a runny paste.
- Step 7Place a lined oven tray under the wire cake rack. Use a dessert spoon to drizzle icing over each cake. Set aside for 30 minutes to set. Top with the candied orange rind. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Tip: This candied orange zest also makes a delicious topping on a rich chocolate mousse. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for months.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Amanda McLauchlan
- Publication: Notebook: