Author Notes: The surprise of sweet cherry at the center of these chocolate truffles is a lovely update on this classic treat. —Food52
Makes: two dozen
cup heavy whipping cream
Earl Grey tea bags
Zest of half a medium sized orange
Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
ounces good-quality dark chocolate (or use 6 ounces of white chocolate for variation)
Cocoa powder or chopped nuts, for rolling (optional)
cup good-quality dried cherries
- Heat the cream with the tea bags and the orange zest until just about to simmer.
- While the cream is heating, roughly chop the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl.
- Strain out the tea bags and the zest and add the seeds scraped from the vanilla bean. Pour cream mixture over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 1 to 3 minutes.
- Stir the chocolate and the cream together until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
- Place the cocoa powder (or other desired coating) in a small bowl.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop 1-inch balls of ganache. Pinch a couple of dried cherries together, then push them into the center of the ganache ball. Roll between palms until smooth. Roll in cocoa powder to coat.
- Return to refrigerator until ready to serve.
Photo by Alpha Smoot