Author Notes: This is a vegan take on an often cheese-stuffed dish. If vegan cheese scares you (I would only use Follow Your Heart, Daiya, or Cheezly), you can also stuff these with blended cashew nuts, crumbled extra-firm tofu, mashed beans, or just loads of veggies. Really, the variations are endless, but this particular recipe is rather delicious. —HaikuTofu
Serves: 8 rolls
cup any white vegan cheese, shredded
cup red onion, sliced thinly
cups baby spinach, chopped
kalamata olives, chopped
marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
Olive Oil Mister, if you have one
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 10 steaks. Throw away the first and last slices as they will have too much skin to be tender.
- Salt the eggplant steaks and let them sit for 20 minutes. Rinse, then pat dry with a towel.
- Lay the eggplant on a foil-lined baking sheet, mist with olive oil, and broil for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time. The eggplant should be tender and slightly browned.
- Take an eggplant steak and layer 2/3 of it with spinach, onion, cheese, olives, artichoke, and sun-dried tomato. Roll it up (starting at the stuffed end and rolling towards the 1/3 without filling) and place it seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with the other steaks.
- Broil for another 5-10 minutes. Serve drizzled with a bit of olive oil.