Author Notes: This came from a family discussion about moderation (haha!) I think this is a great example of how having something that seems decadent (like egg soaked bread filled with Nutella and cooked in butter) in small proportions can still be a good breakfast. It’s also absolutely melt-in-your-mouth delicious. – ShowFoodChef —ShowFoodChef
Food52 Review: Fantastic recipe! I love Nutella in any form so I knew I’d like this, but it was even better than I expected! I tried the recipe as written — stuffing the Nutella into slits in the bread, and also tried slicing the bread thinner and sandwiching Nutella between two slices to see if I could get a better seal that way, I thought it might be difficult to seal the slits. I think it worked better with the slits though — you don’t need a perfect seal and the portion sizes were much more manageable. I found it useful to wiggle my fingers in the slits, to make a kind of pocket in the bread before stuffing it. I also reduced the cinnamon to 1 tsp since I’m not crazy about cinnamon, but I’m sure it would be good with more. It was really excellent, we loved it. Definitely going to make this instead of regular French toast from now on. – Arathi —The Editors
Thick slices of Bread (Brioche/French/other Whole Loaf)
Confectionary Sugar for topping
Strawberries, Bananas, Raspberries (optional for garnish)
- Choose the size you want for your French Toasts: Cut your bread in half or quarters
- Make a slit in each piece of bread and fill with a Tablespoon of Nutella; seal the edges as much as possible. (Optionally – add a slice of banana, also)
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk, cinnamon and sugar til frothy.
- Place each piece of Nutella filled bread into the egg mixture and soak for about 30 seconds on each side. (Drain on a rack over parchment paper for easy clean-up.)
- In a large skillet: heat the butter on med. til very hot, but be careful not to over brown.
- Cook each piece of egg soaked bread in the butter (about 2-3 minutes on each side) until browned and crisped. Be sure to cook on the edges also.
- Remove to your serving plate, sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with fruit. Serve immediately.