- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 red (Asian) eschalots, finely chopped (see Notes)
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy: see Notes)
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or hot chilli sauce (see Notes)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (80g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 8 cooked prawns, peeled (tails intact)
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice (from 1 cup (200g) uncooked rice), cooled
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, cut into 4 wedges
- 4 eggs, fried
- Fried Asian shallots (optional), to garnish (see Notes)
- Coriander sprigs (optional), to garnish
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Step 1Heat the oil in a wok or a large, deep frypan over medium-high heat. When hot, add eschalots, chilli and garlic and fry the mixture for 2 minutes until eschalots are golden.
- Step 2Reduce heat to medium, then add the sauces, sambal oelek, tomatoes and beansprouts. Toss for 2 minutes or until well combined and beansprouts start to soften.
- Step 3Add prawns and toss, then with your hands, scatter the rice over, breaking up any clumps. Stir-fry until hot and well combined, then toss in parsley.
- Step 4Divide the fried rice and lettuce wedges among 4 plates. Top each with a fried egg, garnish with fried shallots and coriander (if desired), then serve with lemon wedges.
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
Available from Asian food shops.
- Author: Jill Dupleix
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Taste.com.au