- 500g Heart Smart lean beef mince
- 35g (1/2 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can Diced Italian Tomatoes with Sliced Olives
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Steamed couscous, to serve
- Step 1Combine the mince, breadcrumbs, fresh coriander, cumin, paprika and ground coriander in a large bowl. Season. Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls.
- Step 2Heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook half the meatballs, turning, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining meatballs, reheating the pan between batches.
- Step 3Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add tomato, olive, water, cinnamon and honey. Bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Add the meatballs. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7-8 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve with couscous.
To freeze: Cool the meatballs and sauce. Place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat: Thaw in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through.
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Sam McAdam
- Publication: Australian Good Taste