- 2 tablespoons Moroccan spice mix
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x 250g lamb backstraps, trimmed
- 400g canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup (3 tablespoons) tahini*
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice, plus wedges to serve
- Pita bread, to serve
- 2 cups baby salad leaves*
- Step 1In a bowl, mix the spice-mix powder with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Brush over the lamb and set aside.
- Step 2Place chickpeas, onion, tomato, coriander and mint in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk tahini, garlic, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water until you have a loose dressing. Toss salad with dressing.
- Step 3Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue to medium-high heat and cook the lamb for 2-3 minutes each side until lightly charred, but still rare inside. Set aside to rest for 2-3 minutes in a warm place.
- Step 4Lightly toast pita bread on the grill pan. Served the lamb sliced with the salad, grilled pita bread, baby salad leaves and lemon wedges on the side.
- Low carb
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
* Moroccan spice mix is available from supermarkets. Tahini is available from the health food aisle of your supermarket. Baby salad leaves are available from growers’ markets and selected greengrocers. If unavailable, garnish with extra mint and coriander.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: William Meppem
- Publication: Taste.com.au