Author Notes: A great Moroccan feast starts with an array of lovely salads. This unusual cucmber dish is cool, refreshing and a real surprise. After I tasted a version of this at a resturant in Marrakesh, I was skeptical when the waiter told me it was made with confectioner’s sugar and vinegar. I had to experiment to recreate it when I got home, and I have enjoyed the results. —TheRunawaySpoon
seedless (English) cucumber
tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Wash the cucumber and slice very thinly. I like to do this on a mandoline. Place the cucumbers in a strainer and leave to drain for 15 minutes. (Save any liquid that drains off, it’s great in a gin and tonic.)
- While the cucumbers are draining, finely chop the thyme leaves.
- Whisk the confectioner’s sugar and vinegar together in a small bowl. Whisk in the chopped thyme leaves.
- Place the cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Pour over the dressing and stir gently to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 3 hours.