- 95g (1 cup) flaked almonds
- 40g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 (about 500g) large single chicken breast fillets
- 500g orange sweet potato (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pure icing sugar
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- Olive oil, extra, to brush
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, extra
- 1 tablespoon pure icing sugar, extra
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Cook the almonds in a large frying pan over medium heat for 5 minutes or until toasted. Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Step 2Melt the butter in the pan over low heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onion is soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Whisk together the eggs and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add the egg mixture to the onion mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the egg mixture is cooked. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Step 4Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 8 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Finely shred.
- Step 5While the chicken is cooling, cook the sweet potato in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water for 10 minutes or until tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Step 6Add the almonds, chicken, sweet potato and icing sugar to the onion mixture and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 7Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a clean tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this will prevent the filo from drying out). Place 2 filo sheets, overlapping by 5cm, on the work surface to form a 40cm square. Brush with oil. Top with another 2 filo sheets and brush with oil. Repeat with remaining filo to make a 3-layer stack. Brush with oil. Spoon chicken mixture into the centre and spread to form a 20cm-diameter circle. Fold the edges of filo over the filling to enclose, and scrunch the top of the filo together.
- Step 8Place the pie on the lined tray. Brush the edges with extra oil. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden. Combine the extra cinnamon and icing sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the pie. Cut into wedges to serve.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
To save time, omit step 4. Remove and coarsely shred the breasts from 1 Woolworths country-style roast chicken, and add to the onion mixture in step 6.
- Author: Louise Pickford
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste