- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 70g (1 1/2 cups) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 250g haloumi, cut into 8 slices
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- 4 truss tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 500g mixed baby tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- Step 1Place the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Lightly whisk the egg in a shallow bowl. Dip the haloumi in flour and shake off any excess. Dip in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 2Add vegetable oil to a large frying pan to come 1cm up the side of the pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook haloumi, in 2 batches, for 1 minute each side or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Step 3Arrange the combined tomato and haloumi on a large platter. Top with the basil. Drizzle over the olive oil and season.
Serves 8 as a side.
Try swapping the haloumi for baby bocconcini – just thickly slice the bocconcini and then crumb it and cook it the same way.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste