- 8 slices Italian-style bread
- 150g tub basil, cashew and parmesan chunky dip
- 1/2 x 400g punnet tomato medley, halved
- 2/3 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Australian extra virgin olive oil (see notes)
- 300g button mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bunch English spinach, trimmed
- Step 1Preheat grill on medium. Place bread slices in a single layer on a large baking tray. Grill for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Remove from grill. While still hot, spread dip evenly over bread.
- Step 2Meanwhile, combine the tomato, basil, vinegar and 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium bowl (see notes).
- Step 3Heat the remaining oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add mushroom and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until just tender. Add hot mushroom mixture to tomato mixture. Stir to combine. Stand for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Add spinach to pan over high heat. Cook for 30 seconds or until just wilted. Top warm bread with hot spinach, then tomato mixture. Serve immediately.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Australian extra virgin olive oil is cold pressed so it retains all of its nutrients and has a fresh taste.
If you have time, stand the tomato mixture at room temperature for 1 hour so the flavours really develop.
- Author: Tracey Meharg
- Image credit: Andrew Young and Guy Bailey
- Publication: Super Food Ideas