- 3 cups milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 850g sweet potato, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thickened cream
- 1 cup finely grated gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Step 1Place milk and garlic in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add desiree potato. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 18 minutes or until potato is tender (see note).
- Step 2Meanwhile, place sweet potato in a large heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Cover. Microwave on high (100%) for 5 to 6 minutes or until sweet potato is tender, but still holds its shape.
- Step 3Grease a 5 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Spoon half the potato mixture into prepared dish. Top with sweet potato. Spoon over remaining potato mixture. Pour over cream.
- Step 4Preheat grill on high. Position grill rack 20cm away from heat. Combine cheese and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Sprinkle potato with cheese mixture. Grill for 8 minutes or until top is golden and crisp. Serve with roasted turkey and pork.
Avoid over-stirring potato or you will end up breaking the slices.
Tip: To prepare gratin ahead of time, make up to step 3. Reheat in microwave on high (100%) for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through. Then follow step 4.
- Author: Lucy Nunes
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas