- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 250g pork mince
- 250g veal mince
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 2/3 cup finely grated parmesan
- Fettuccine, cooked, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Step 2Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. Add basil. Stir to combine.
- Step 3Meanwhile, combine mince, zucchini, half the parmesan, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix to combine. Roll heaped teaspoons of mixture into 40 balls.
- Step 4Add meatballs to the sauce for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened and meatballs are cooked through. Serve with fettuccine. Top with remaining parmesan.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Liz Macri
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas