- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 8 (680g) beef herb and garlic sausages
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 410g can chopped tomatoes
- 375g jar medium thick and chunky salsa
- 10 mini flour tortillas
- 1 1/4 cups grated tasty cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- Cooked fusilli pasta, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until softened. Squeeze sausage filling from casings into pan. Cook, stirring for 8 minutes, breaking up sausage mince with a wooden spoon, until browned. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Step 2Add capsicum and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add tomato and salsa. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Step 3Meanwhile, line 2 large trays with foil. Place 5 tortillas on each tray. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, swapping trays halfway during cooking, until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden. Sprinkle with coriander. Fold tortillas in half.
- Step 4Serve sausage mixture with pasta and cheesy tortillas.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
This is great for learning new kitchen skills, including simmering and chopping vegies. The young kids can help by sprinkling cheese on the tortillas.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas