- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 600g lean beef mince
- 480g quesadilla meal kit (see note)
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno chillies, drained, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups reduced-fat grated tasty cheese
- Guacamole, to serve
- Sliced red chilli, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Lightly grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) square ovenproof dish.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 4 minutes or until browned. Add seasoning, beans and 1/3 cup cold water. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Step 3Place 2 tortillas, trimming to fit, in prepared dish. Spread one-third of mince mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle with one-third of the tomato and chillies. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with tortillas. Spread salsa over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 10 minutes. Cut into pieces. Serve with guacamole, chilli and lime wedges.
- High fibre
- Low carb
To reheat: Preheat oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan forced. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated through. Serve.
Note: Quesadilla meal kits include 8 corn tortillas, Mexican seasoning and mild Mexican salsa. Super saver: Replace lean mince with regular mince and save around $1.20 in total.
- Author: Jenny Fanshaw
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas