- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 175g pkt short-cut bacon rashers, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g can diced Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 Massel chicken style stock cube
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 80g baby spinach leaves
- Cooked polenta, to serve
- Basil pesto, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat the oil in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer chicken to a 4-litre (16-cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Step 2Add bacon, leek and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add tomato, wine, stock cube, thyme and rosemary, and bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Pour over the chicken.
- Step 3Cover and bake in oven for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender. Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a bowl. Stir the chickpeas and spinach into the tomato mixture. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the pan. Serve with polenta and basil pesto.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Michelle Southan, Food editor – Australian Good Taste
- Image credit: Brett Stevens
- Publication: Taste.com.au