- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600g chicken breast fillets, sliced diagonally into 1cm-thick slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 yellow capsicum, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 1/3 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/3 cup breakfast marmalade
- 125g grape tomatoes, halved lengthways
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 x 250g packets microwave brown rice
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Step 1Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, nonstick frying pan over high heat. Cook chicken for 1 to 2 minutes each side or until golden. Place on a plate.
- Step 2Reduce heat to medium-high. Add onion, garlic and capsicum to pan. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion has softened. Stir in stock and marmalade. Add tomato and chicken.
- Step 3Spoon half the chicken mixture into a nonstick frying pan. Add apricots and honey. Add ginger to remaining chicken mixture. Cook both over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce mixture has thickened. Meanwhile, cook rice following packet directions.
- Step 4Serve ginger chicken mixture over rice, sprinkled with coriander leaves.
- Low sodium
Serves 2 adult meals and 2 children’s meals.
Variation for children: Sweet orange and apricot chicken: Serve apricot chicken with rice.
Avoid adding too much onion to the childrens’ version.
- Author: Annette Forrest
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Super Food Ideas