- 300g firm tofu, cut into thin strips
- 60ml (1/4 cup) mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 2 bunches broccolini, ends trimmed, cut into 2cm lengths
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Steamed Basmati rice, to serve
- Step 1Place the tofu in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Combine half the mirin, soy sauce and ginger in a jug and pour over the tofu. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Step 2Combine the sugar and remaining mirin, soy sauce and ginger in a small bowl. Heat a wok or frying pan over high heat. Lightly spray with olive oil spray. Drain the tofu and reserve the marinade. Add one-third of the tofu to the wok and cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining tofu.
- Step 3Lightly spray the wok with olive oil spray. Add the onion and stir-fry for 1 minute or until brown. Add the mushroom and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add the broccolini and capsicum and stir-fry for 1 minute or until almost tender. Add the tofu, mirin mixture and reserved marinade and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until broccolini is tender crisp and the marinade comes to the boil.
- Step 4Divide the rice among serving bowls. Top with the stir-fry and sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
Prep: 10 mins (+ 30 mins marinating time)
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Australian Good Taste