- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 650g marinara mix (see note)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Cooked spaghetti, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add wine. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half.
- Step 2Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add marinara mixture for 5 more minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Step 3Add chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves. Stir to combine. Serve with spaghetti. Top with parsley.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Marinara mixes are available from your local fishmonger, seafood retailers and some supermarkets.
- Author: Liz Macri
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas