- 1 large (800g) eggplant, cut lengthways into 5mm-thick slices
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 350g fresh reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups tomato passata
- 3/4 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 5cm-deep, 20cm (base) square baking dish. Lightly spray eggplant with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to a baking tray. Drizzle eggplant with lemon juice. Reserve 12 slices of eggplant. Chop remaining eggplant.
- Step 2Combine ricotta, chopped eggplant, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano and nutmeg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Place 1 eggplant slice on a flat surface. Top with 2 tablespoons of ricotta mixture. Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Place, seam-side down, in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices and ricotta.
- Step 3Pour passata over eggplant rolls. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kim Meredith
- Image credit: Cath Muscat
- Publication: Super Food Ideas