Author Notes: This recipe comes from an adapted version of my grandmother’s classic. Christmas was always filled with them and bellies could never get enough~ Our mouths and fingers were dusted with powdered sugar* It was lovely~ —simplyfoodlove.com
cup Beer (at room temperature)
- Sift together flour, salt & sugar.
- Blend in the crisco, with a pastry blender or fork, just until the flour is incorporated and the crumbles form into pea shapes.
- Add the beer, slowly and in batches until dough is combined, but not wet.
- Roll out dough and cut with a 4 inch round cookie cutter. You may also form into balls and roll each empanada out individually.
- Fill with filling. My grandmother used everything from pumpkin to fig preserves. I find them lovely with both and even love them with caramel apple filling!
- Fold over, pinching the ends with a fork. Making sure filling does not leak through the edges.
- Place on sheet and bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until golden. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy…with the ones you love!