- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 cups Fruit mince (see related recipe)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g butter, melted, cooled
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavoured liqueur
- Step 1Preheat oven to 150°C/130°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan. Line with 3 layers of baking paper, allowing a 5cm overhang.
- Step 2Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice in a large bowl. Stir in sugar, fruit mince, eggs and butter. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Level top. Arrange almonds on top.
- Step 3Bake for 3 hours or until a knife inserted in centre comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if over-browning during cooking). drizzle with liqueur. Wrap pan in foil. Turn onto a board. Cool completely.
- Step 4Remove cake from pan. Serve.
- High protein
- Low sodium
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas