- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 115g dried split red lentils
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500g spaghetti
- Step 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until the vegetables soften.
- Step 2Stir in the lentils, tomato, stock and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Step 3Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.
- Step 4Add sauce to pasta. Combine. Serve.
- High carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Fleur Honey, SA (Home Cook of the Year finalist)
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Australian Good Taste