- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 x 410g cans chopped tomatoes (with basil and garlic)
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- Step 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and mushroom. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened.
- Step 2Add tomato, lentils, barley and 5 cups cold water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until barley is tender. Ladle into bowls. Serve.
- High fibre
- Low kilojoule
Soup will thicken on standing.
Serve with: Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves and lemon wedges.
- Author: Jenny Fanshaw
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas