- 2 lemons
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon thyme
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce, coarsely shredded
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh continental parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons coarsely grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons bought ranch dressing
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220°c. Finely grate the rind of the lemons. Halve and juice the lemons. Place the lemon rind, lemon juice, chicken, onion, oil, garlic and lemon thyme in a large baking dish. toss to combine. Cover the dish with foil and roast in oven for 10 minutes.
- Step 2Remove the foil, turn the chicken and roast for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Step 3Place the lettuce, zucchini, parsley and parmesan in a bowl. Drizzle over the ranch dressing and toss to combine. serve with the chicken.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
Cook’s tip: To test if the chicken is cooked, pierce the thickest part with a skewer or sharp knife – if the juices run clear, it’s ready.
Variation: Mediterranean chicken: Omit lemon. Add 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes and the zucchini to the dish in step 1. Replace the iceberg lettuce with baby cos lettuce. Replace the ranch dressing with bought balsamic dressing.
- Author: Heidi Flett
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste