- 65g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 1/2 tablespoons lemon butter
- 10g butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced oven. Line 10 holes of a 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan with paper cases.
- Step 2Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together for 2 minutes or until combined. Stir in half the flour, then half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour and milk, adding 2 tablespoons lemon butter. Spoon mixture into prepared cases. Top each with 1 teaspoon remaining lemon butter.
- Step 3Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and firm to touch.
- Step 4Brush hot cakes with butter. Sprinkle with caster sugar. Cool. Serve.
Cover the cakes loosely with foil during the cooking if over-browning.
The cakes are best made on the day they’re served. Serve warm or cold.
You can serve the cakes with pure cream, double cream, warmed custard or vanilla yoghurt.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas