- 50g butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 100g baby spinach, plus extra, to serve
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil, plus extra, to drizzle
- 50g (1/4 cup) Persian (marinated) feta, crumbled
- Roasted pine nuts (optional), to serve
- Step 1Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add leeks, garlic and tarragon, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until leeks are soft. Add spinach and stir to combine. Cook for a further 30 seconds or until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Whisk eggs, parsley and 1 tablespoon cold water in a large bowl. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 26cm non-stick frying pan over medium–high heat. Add half the egg mixture, swirling pan to coat base. Cook for 2 minutes or until top is almost set and base is golden.
- Step 3Spoon half the leek mixture over half the omelette. Fold omelette over to enclose. Slide onto a plate and scatter with half each of the feta and extra spinach. Repeat with remaining oil, egg mixture, leek mixture, feta and spinach.
- Step 4Drizzle with extra oil and scatter with pine nuts, if using, to serve.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
Top tips: For a more substantial dish, add a handful of shredded barbecued chicken with leek mixture in step 3.
To make a frittata, place egg mixture in an 18cm non-stick ovenproof frying pan, top with leek mixture, then bake in a 180C oven for 25 minutes or until egg is set. Scatter with feta and extra spinach to serve.
- Author: Dominic Smith
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: MasterChef