- 4 (about 1kg) eggplants, cut into 5mm-thick rounds
- 110ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g minced lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 5mm-thick rounds
- 25g (1/3 cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- 120g butter
- 100g (2/3 cup) plain flour
- 750ml (3 cups) milk
- 280g (1 cup) Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt
- 2 egg yolks
- Step 1Preheat a chargrill pan over medium–high heat. Brush eggplants with 80ml (1/3 cup) oil. Cook, in 4 batches, for 2 minutes each side or until charred.
- Step 2Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until soft. Add mince, spices and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Step 3Meanwhile, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes or until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 200C fan-forced. To make bechamel, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 3 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble at edges. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Return pan to heat and cook, stirring continuously, for 6 minutes or until very thick. Remove from heat, season, then whisk in yoghurt and egg yolks. Makes 1L.
- Step 5Grease a 22cm x 34cm (6cm-deep) ovenproof dish. Place half the eggplant slices, slightly overlapping, in dish and scatter with half the breadcrumbs. Top with overlapping potato slices, then spoon over half the be?chamel. Top with lamb mixture, remaining eggplant and breadcrumbs. Pour over remaining be?chamel and season. Place on an oven tray and bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden. Cool for 15 minutes, then serve.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Serve a spinach & mint salad with this moussaka. Combine 2 tbs chopped mint, 100g chopped spinach and 2 thinly sliced spring onions in a bowl. Drizzle over juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil. Season and toss.
- Author: Jessica Brook
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: MasterChef