- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small red capsicum, halved, deseeded, chopped
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 90g (1/3 cup) tomato paste
- 60ml (1/4 cup) red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
- Olive oil spray
- 1 x 530g btl Dolmio Bechamel Lasagne Pasta Bake sauce
- 15g (1/4 cup) shaved parmesan
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until mince changes colour. Stir in the tomato, tomato paste, wine and oregano. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Cook for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Step 2Meanwhile, preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium-high. Spray the eggplant with olive oil spray and cook for 1 minute each side or until tender.
- Step 3Preheat grill on medium-high. Place the mince mixture in a 1.5L (6-cup) capacity baking dish. Top with eggplant. Pour over the sauce. Top with parmesan. Cook under grill for 5 minutes or until golden. Serve with mixed salad leaves.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Freezing tip: Use a freezerproof dish. Cover. Label, date and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight. To reheat, cover the dish with foil and place in an oven preheated to 180°C for 30 minutes or until heated through.
With a twist: Lamb & zucchini bake: Replace eggplant with 4 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways.
- Author: Emma Braz
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste