- 12 lamb cutlets
- Cooked pearl couscous, to serve
Spiced eggplant relish
- light olive oil, to deep-fry
- 400g eggplant, sliced crossways
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Moroccan seasoning
- 250ml (1 cup) tomato pasta sauce
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Small continental parsley leaves, to serve
- Step 1For the spiced eggplant relish, pour enough oil into a frying pan to reach a depth of 2cm. Heat over high heat. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Step 2Drain off all but 1 tbs of the oil from the pan. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the Moroccan seasoning and stir to coat. Add the tomato sauce, vinegar and sugar. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in the eggplant. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Step 3Preheat a chargrill or frying pan over medium heat. Season the lamb and cook for 3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Serve the lamb with the couscous, eggplant relish and lemon wedges, sprinkled with parsley leaves.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine