- 1.2kg diced lamb (shoulder or leg)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika (pimenton)*
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g orzo pasta (risoni)*
- 24 cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup (250ml) thick Greek yoghurt
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Step 2Place lamb in a single layer in a large baking dish, cover with onions, drizzle with lemon juice and the oil.
- Step 3Sprinkle with oregano, cumin and paprika, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, cover and roast for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent catching.
- Step 4Heat stock in a pan over medium heat and whisk in tomato paste. Remove lamb from oven, pour over stock, add canned tomatoes, cover with foil and return to oven for 1 hour.
- Step 5Remove, sprinkle in the pasta, cover and return to the oven for 20 minutes, until pasta is cooked and most liquid is absorbed. Place cherry tomatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil, season and roast for final 5 minutes of the lamb’s cooking time.
- Step 6To serve, stir through parsley, divide between bowls, and top with yoghurt and a few tomatoes.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
* Pimenton is from spice shops and selected delis. * Orzo (or risoni) is rice-shaped pasta from supermarkets.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Taste.com.au