- 1 medium (about 400g) eggplant, cut into twelve 1cm-thick slices
- Olive oil spray
- 400g Desiree potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped (see note)
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Carnation Light & Creamy Evaporated Milk
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 350g lean lamb mince
- 80ml (1/3 cup) red wine
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- Steamed green round beans, to serve
- Step 1Preheat a chargrill on high. Spray eggplant with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until charred and tender.
- Step 2Cook potato in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to the pan. Add evaporated milk. Mash until smooth.
- Step 3Meanwhile, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Cook the onion, zucchini and carrot, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and allspice. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until mince changes colour. Add the wine. Simmer until reduced by half. Add the tomato. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray four 250ml (1-cup) capacity ovenproof ramekins with oil. Place 1 slice of eggplant in each dish. Top with 2 tablespoons of mince mixture. Continue layering with remaining eggplant and mince mixture. Top with potato. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve with beans.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
If unavailable, use Red Rascal or Royal Blue.
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Australian Good Taste