- 8 large (about 800g) chicken thigh fillets, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5cm-piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 4 dried red chillies
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 80g (1/2 cup) raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 4 green shallots, cut into 5cm lengths
- Fresh baby coriander sprigs, to serve
- Green shallot curls, to serve
- Step 1Combine the chicken, garlic, ginger, chillies, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and sesame oil in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Step 2Heat half the peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Add peanuts and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate.
- Step 3Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade in the bowl. Add the cornflour and chicken stock to the marinade and stir to combine.
- Step 4Heat the remaining oil in wok over high heat until just smoking. Add one-quarter of the chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat in 3 more batches with the remaining chicken.
- Step 5Return the chicken to the wok with the marinade mixture, five spice, green onion and peanuts. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce boils and thickens. Serve immediately, topped with coriander and shallot curls.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Al Richardson
- Publication: Taste Magazine