Author Notes: The stew that I created is a favorite from my childhood days. Dad and mom made this concoction of ginger, green chilies, potatoes, onions and coconut milk which was the perfect accompaniment to steamed rice or fresh bread. Out went the potatoes and in came the kohlrabis to make their debut in this simple, yummy comfort food which turned out to be a big hit. —Lakshmi Sundar
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Kohlrabi, skin removed and cut into cubes
Red onion, chopped into medium pieces
Green chillies, sliced lengthwise
pieces Ginger, finely chopped
cup Coconut milk
- Place all the ingredients except the coconut milk in a pan, cover the vegetables with water and cook covered till the kohlrabi is firm but done – a fork inserted should slide in easily, but the vegetable should retain its shape (about 15-20 minutes). At this point, there will be some water in the pan, but it will not be watery.
- Add the coconut milk, mix gently and simmer the mixture for a few minutes.
- Turn off the stove and wait 10 minutes before serving the stew with steamed rice or bread.
- The result is super yum and a gift for those on a low carb diet.
- Tip: You could also puree this and serve it as a soup and it tastes amazing, the combination of chilies and coconut milk playing a tropical dance on your tongue!
Photo by Lakshmi Sundar