Author Notes: The recipe originally came from a childhood friend. I’ve changed it a bit & have no idea where she got it. It is now a REQUIRED Thanksgiving dessert. —junecleaver_48
ounces fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
cup apple juice
tablespoons lemon juice
cup jam (we love raspberry)
cup butter – room temp
teaspoon baking powder
- prep & cook time, including time to chill is 2 1/2 hours
- you can make the jam mixture and the dough up to 3 days ahead; cover and chill separately
- sort, rinse and drain cranberries
- place berries in a 3 -4 qt sauce pan, over medium heat, stir berries with 1 cup sugar, apple juice and lemon juice until berries have broken down, released their juice & mixture is bubbly. about 10-15 minutes; stir in jam & cook for 1 more minute. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until cold.
- With a mixer beat butter with 3/4 cup sugar until smooth; beat in egg yolks, stir in flour, baking powder and salt until well blended. Divide dough into 2 slightly unequal portions. Wrap the larger portion in plastic and flatten into a rectangular shape. Press the smaller portion over bottom and up the side of a 9 inch fluted tart pan with removable rim. Chill wrapped dough and tart shell until firm.
- spoon jam mixture into tart shell and spread level.
- unwrap the second portion of dough; place on lightly floured surface. With lightly floured rolling pin roll out dough into a shape that is about 8 by 10 inches. With a pizza or fluted cutter cut dough into 8 1″ by 10″ strips. Arrange four strips over filling about 1 inch apart. Place remaining strips over tart at a 45 degree angle to the first set. Trim edges flush with the dough in the pan. sprinkle top of tart lightly with sugar.
- Place the tart on a baking sheet and bake on the lower rack at 350 degrees, rotating 1/2 through baking time until top is golden; 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temp.