- 16 (about 350g) dutch carrots, trimmed, peeled, halved lengthwise if large
- 12 (about 300g) baby beetroot, trimmed, peeled, halved (or quartered if large)
- 2 red onion, peeled, cut into thin wedges
- 190g (1 cup) quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 150g kale, trimmed, leaves shredded
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 60g marinated feta in oil, drained, crumbled
- Salt, to season
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the carrots, beetroot and on prepared tray, spray with olive oil. Roast for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are golden and tender.
- Step 2Meanwhile, place quinoa and 500ml (2 cups) water in a medium saucepan, bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until water has evaporated and quinoa is al dente. Stir through kale until just wilted.
- Step 3Transfer quinoa to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables and pine nuts. Whisk the oil, vinegar, orange juice and honey together in a small bowl. Add to quinoa and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Step 4Serve topped with the crumbled marinated feta.
Tip: When trimming kale, make sure you remove the tough centre vein. This salad is gluten free.
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Craig Wall
- Publication: Taste.com.au