- 50g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 450g cup mushrooms, sliced
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 6 eschalots (French shallots), peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon raw caster sugar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 sheets (25 x 25cm) ready-rolled frozen butter puff pastry (Pampas brand), just thawed
- Step 1Melt butter and oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add mushrooms, eschalots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle with thyme and sugar and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 190°C. Brush eight 8cm (base measurement) 2cm-deep fluted tart tins with removable bases with melted butter to lightly grease. Spoon mushroom mixture evenly among prepared tins, pressing down with the back of the spoon. Use a 10cm-diameter pastry cutter to cut 8 discs from the pastry. Use a fork to prick pastry discs and place over mushroom mixture.
- Step 3Cook in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Turn out of tins to serve.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
You can make these tarts to the end of step 1 up to 1 day ahead. Cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Continue from step 2 up to 6 hours before serving. transport tip: In tins in airtight container away from direct sunlight.
- Author: Rodney Dunn
- Image credit: Chris Chen
- Publication: Australian Good Taste